Any and everything literacy teaching truly is my passion and favorite hobby. I’ve read all the books, been to countless conferences and trainings, and have worked beside many amazing fellow educators.
I’ve learned from the best literacy gurus out there for decades, and have spent more than 20 years in the field. And what I love most is sitting side-by-side with another teacher to problem solve together.
Teaching can truly be a puzzle. Every year brings a different group of students, all with different needs. And there are SO MANY components of literacy instruction! Not to mention new research to consider, fresh ideas to try, and an impossibly short day to fit it all in.
I know this because I’ve been there! I’ve been through a lot of trial and error, and I’ve learned a whole lot along the way. It’s what’s kept me going and why I remain so passionate about teaching.
That’s why I’m here…to now help as many educators as I can. To solve those literacy instruction puzzles–and to help you simplify your teaching!
On a personal note…
When I’m not digging into a professional book, taking an online literacy course, or planning the next engaging professional development for teachers, I’m relaxing!
I live a short distance from the beautiful NC mountains, where I love to hike with my family.
These days it’s usually just me and my adventurous and wonderful husband, since my oldest daughter is busy in college and my youngest is finishing out her last couple of years in high school. I also love to work out, stamp handmade cards, and am an avid reader.
Over the past 20+ years I have gained experience and deep insight through:
- 15 years in the classroom (kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, and 4th grade)
- 6 years as a Literacy Interventionist
- Experience in very high and low-performing schools, and everything in between
- Teaching in 4 different states
- Mentoring new teachers
- Peer Evaluator
- Bachelor’s of Science in Elementary Education
- Master’s degree in Reading (K-12)
- Endorsed as a Literacy Specialist and Coach
- Currently a Literacy Coach in a K-5 building
- 4 years of Reading and Writing Workshop training from Teacher’s College
- Over a decade of attendance at the annual National Reading Recovery conference
- Serving as Lead Teacher for my grade level
- COUNTLESS trainings in coaching, mentoring, and all things literacy, with technology sprinkled in